Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Cam Porter
Jimmy Broadbent
Someguy 1
John Bacho
8 posters

ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps

John Bacho
    John Bacho
    Admin

ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Empty ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps

Post by John Bacho Mon 29 Jul - 4:57

ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps SpaCover
    ENDURANCE RACE

1st #68 Anders Nilsson - AF Corse Ferrari 458 Italia ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Ferrar11
    2nd #00 Jimmy Broadbent - BMW Z4 ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Bmws10
    3rd #23 Garth Buchanan - Feint Motion BMW Z4 ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Bmws10
    4th #45 Chris James - McLaren MP4-12C ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Mclare10
    5th #07 Someguy_1 - Jack Daniel's McLaren MP4-12C ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Mclare10
    6th #35 Nabil Abusharr - Nissan GTR ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Nissan11
    7th #51 John Bacho - Audi R8 LMS ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Audis10
    8th #10 James Goldston - SPIN DOCTOR Racing Porsche 997 ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Porsch11
    9th #71 Cam Porter - Lamborghini Gallardo ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Lambos11
    10th #5 Paul Schuman - Aston Martin Vantage ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Astons11(DNF)
    11th #47 Dan Minges - McLaren MP4-12C ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Mclare10(DNF)
    12th #46 Nick Woodbury - Kessel Racing Ferrari 458 Italia ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Ferrar11(DNF)
    13th #52 Justin Allison - Audi R8 LMS ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Audis10(DNS)

MEDIA

STANDINGS

STATISTICS

ENDURANCE RACE RESULTS

SERVER REPLAY

PHOTO GALLERY

RACE REPORT

Bastogne, Stavelot, Malmedy, Foy-Notre-Dame, Meuse, Wereth: locations found in the surrounding 2.7 million acre region of the Ardennes, all made famous in a brutal and sickening war that ravaged continental Europe.

What better way to honour the sacrifice of human life and irreparable psychological and physical damage but to build one of the greatest race tracks ever conceived. It is on this ground, surrounded by the ghost of war, that the Sim Race Online GT3s completed a grueling 1.5 hour endurance event at Spa-Francorchamps.

After the disappointing driver count last week for the Nürburgring race, it was a welcome sight to see thirteen cars taking part in Belgium. There were notable names missing from the list, including the championship contenders of Stephen Bailey & Kjelle Stenbeck, both reportedly away on holiday. The dark horse leading up to Saturday’s race was Göran Strandh, who suffered a back injury prior to the race and was unable to participate. With those challengers not on the grid, who else would step up to fight Anders Nilsson’s streak of victories?

The answer came from an unlikely person, not because of skill, but in the method he is momentarily forced to steer his BMW Z4: Jimmy Broadbent, the PS3 controller driving extraordinaire! The championship leading Ferrari of Nilsson was a sure-fire bet for pole all weekend long, and he achieved that result with a time of 2:18.152 as expected -- but the rest of the grid was surprising. Immediately following Nilsson was the South African of Justin Allison in the Audi R8 on a 2:18.310 and Jimmy Broadbent’s dexterous thumbs flying across the analog sticks to qualify 3rd with a 2:18.522.

Other notable qualifying results were that of Garth Buchanan displaying his best form of the series thus far in 4th, James Goldston coming out of retirement only recently to get 5th -- with a time he was quite shocked by -- and the Audi driver of Bacho surprisingly down the order in 11th.

Familiar with the rigors of endurance racing and experienced with the dangers surrounding the roller coaster corner of Eau Rouge, the race organizers decided to apply a ‘manual rolling start’ rule for the beginning of this race. Nilsson would lead the field around like a regular formation lap, but he exited the final ‘bus-stop’ chicane, the green flag would drop. Missing from the start of the race was that of #52 Justin Allison in 2nd place; his internet connectivity plagued him throughout the day and prevented him from taking part. This would promote the soon-to-be gnarled PS3 holding hands of Jimmy Broadbent to P2.

Coming around the final corner to begin the race, the field hammered the throttle to begin the 1.5hr race! Everyone but Someguy_1 in the McLaren got away cleanly in the order they qualified. SG went wide at the chicane in front of Bacho, claiming “I was downshifting too slow for the approaching corner!” Bacho capitalized on the mistake and completed the pass on the brakes into La Source for 9th. The lone Porsche 997 of Goldston struggled early on (he’s still coming to grips with the GT3s after such a long hiatus from racing); the Texan would slowly fall down the order, beginning with a bobble at Campus to allow Nick Woodbury to overtake -- Woodbury would go on to crash at Eau Rouge the very next lap and retire -- and soon after that by the Gulf liveried MP4-12C’s of Chris James using a rare low downforce setup.

C. James appeared to have the most eventful race of the field. After qualifying 6th, he quickly moved up two spots and passed Garth Buchanan’s BMW on Lap 13 before Les Combes by using his horsepower & wing advantage for P3. From there he slowly caught the leading cars of Nilsson and Broadbent. The top two traded positions twice before their pit-stops at the halfway point, with Jimmy Broadbent moving into the lead early on Lap 3 down the Kemmel straight, only to switch positions again in an exciting side-by-side duel on Lap 17 from Les Combes to Rivage, this time with the Ferrari 458 on top.

The smoother style of James -- and possibly the McLaren’s softer use of tyres -- allowed him to catch up to the rear-end of the BMW in P2 and simply drive past Broadbent on Lap 19 (like he did to so many in this race). What looked like a three-way fight for the lead took a turn for the worse as James accidentally missed his pit-stall on Lap 22, accidentally hitting the speed-limiter out of frustration, driving out of the pits without receiving service and awarded a penalty for a speeding infraction.The very next lap he completed his stop for fuel & tyres, but didn’t understand that penalties need to be served independently. This lost him several positions and he was forced to blitz his way back through the field.

A decent battle for 5th was between that of Nabil Abusharr, John Bacho and Someguy_1.  The three of them would run within sight of each other for the majority of the race; their machines ebbing and flowing towards each others bumpers. Bacho’s Audi had the biggest disadvantage between them, his R8 LMS ULTRA was petrol thirsty and required the most amount of time to refuel in the pits. By the end of his first stint, J. Bacho fell into the clutches of Someguy_1’s McLaren just before the halfway mark due ot heavy tyre wear. During the overlap, SG1 leapfrogged past Bacho, but still behind Abusharr’s Nissan GTR. The GTR looked to struggle with overall grip throughout the race, but relied on its straight-line speed to negate any passing opportunities.

After a slight hiccup on the opening lap, Paul Schuman in the Aston Martin looked to be running down Garth Buchanan for the final podium position before he flew off the circuit. The Maryland man took too much of Pouhon’s inside kerb on Lap 32; the grass bumps or possibly the low ride height struck the raised kerb and hurled his car into the right wall. The incurred damage required an additional pit-stop, dropping him down behind the remaining cars on track. Not comfortable with the overall balance after the large shunt, Schuman retired his Vantage two laps later due to a heavy crash at Eau Rouge behind Cam Porter’s Gallardo.

Even though the BMW of Broadbent stopped three laps earlier than Nilsson, he kept a quick enough pace during the pit exchange to emerge in first position once again after the Ferrari’s stop. Nilsson set out in his 458 to close the gap from four seconds on Lap 24 down to almost zero by Lap 36. Later in that same lap, the Swede would pressure the BMW and make a late brake move into the Campus corner around the outside of Broadbent, completing the pass for the lead. The Swedish Viking would go on to win his fourth race in a row!

Chris James would recover to finish fourth position, a great result after suffering so much turmoil in the pits and from the looming black flag penalties threatening to disqualify him. Nabil Abusharr ended up losing a couple of spots during the second half of the race after some minor half-spins, ultimately crossing the finish line in 6th as Someguy_1 (who finished P5) put in yet another patient and well-paced display of driving. Much like Cthulhu, he waits. Only his style of waiting entails the close observation of the competition slowly chewing through their tyres and jumping at the chance to exploit an advantage.

Congratulations go out to James Goldston and Cam Porter for sticking with the race even after struggling with pace near the back of the field. Also, a word of encouragement to Dan Minges who retired on Lap 21 of his own accord. Put that man in a historic racing machine and he’ll electrify the venue. For whatever reason, the modern cars don’t suit him as much, but everyone at Sim Race Online loves to have him on the grid, shooting the shit on Teamspeak and giving the league some fucking class!

Anders Nilsson now has a commanding 47 point lead in the championship over fellow Swede Kjell Stenbeck.

Last edited by John Bacho on Sun 25 Aug - 23:23; edited 15 times in total
    John Bacho
    John Bacho
    Admin

ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Empty Re: ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps

Post by John Bacho Mon 29 Jul - 4:58

STEWARDS REPORT

No penalties for this race. However...

Perhaps I was too late to post pictures of where to avoid cutting. And maybe I could have drawn special attention to corners (even though the original rule is two tyres on the kerb and two on the grass is a cut) like Eau Rouge and Blanchimont for cutting during Warmup. Especially the latter, it seemed like a nameless few wanted to take it flat-out. And in doing so, they messed up, went super wide more often than I'd like to admit and didn't even attempt to lift or learn the proper line. And not just super wide, but out over the concrete even.

I can't even say track time was always gained by making the cuts either. Hell, a lot of the cuts I saw were because the person in front did it. Nonetheless, there's still limits to the track, and I'd appreciate it if they were respected.

It'll always be a concern on the modern circuits because they're modeled in such a way as to promote safety and sport by keeping people in the race even if they make a mistake.

I'll be paying very close attention at Silverstone

I'm sorry for being backed up, this week more than the others with myriad of reasons, but please try to check in on the forums (for major updates I try to post it in the Facebook group as well) and follow the Notes and track cutting information provided.

Last edited by John Bacho on Thu 1 Aug - 14:08; edited 2 times in total
    John Bacho
    John Bacho
    Admin

ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Empty Re: ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps

Post by John Bacho Mon 29 Jul - 5:03

We're having some server problems at the moment. I can't download or upload to it. So for the moment the track is stuck on Spa. Also I can't retrieve the server replay or the results files at this time.

As for my own race, it was kind of doomed from the start. My car was drinking 3.64L of fuel per lap, which meant I had to take a healthy amount at my stop (adding 18secs to the 22sec tyre change). The tyre wear at the 50 minute mark was quite bad; not helped by the fact I was trying to catch Nabil and keep SG1 off of me for the first half. By the time I went into the pits and waited for my immediate competitors to do theirs, they had leaped passed me in the interim.

From there I played catchup for the last 50% of the race, stuck in a tractor beam to Nabil & SG1 at around 3.5 to 4.1 seconds. I only had one nervous moment in the entire race during a mental lapse at Eau Rouge. It was quite fun out there, and I'm glad we had more drivers at the race than last week!

Sorry for the delay getting this thread going. I've been banging my head against a wall to get the files retrieved. Hoping the server provider can fix it for us soon!
    Someguy 1
    Someguy 1

Post by Someguy 1 Mon 29 Jul - 8:13

I don't know why but I felt a lot more comfortable at Spa.  I guess I got rid of the "I haven't raced against other people in over a year" jitters at Monza.  I tried 1-4 wing friday night and couldn't get a decent time, so without trying anything else I set them to 2-6 and gained over a second on my first timed lap.  It felt balanced with race fuel, so I kept it there and was quite satisfied with my lap time.  I never gain time in qualy.  Ever.  So although I dropped down the order a bit, I was confident that I conserve fuel and tires more than most.

The formation lap before the start was my only off of the entire night!  I was dragging the brakes in 6th gear around the entire track until the final chicane, which apparently cannot be taken in 6th gear no matter how slow I'm going.  Embarrassed, I kept to the left side after re-entering to allow a confused(concerned?) Bacho by for 9th.  From there I let him control my pace, conserving my tires and all that until...

Luckily it was my only close call.  

Near the halfway point Bacho and Abushar started slipping, but before I could calculate any passes, Bacho entered the pits, and Abushar spun, giving me open track to do a couple clean laps before pitting myself.  I thought for sure I would exit ahead of them both, but to my suprise Abushar was nearly at Eau Rouge when I exited pit lane.  A lap later Chris James pitted and exited so far behind me I thought something had happened to him. At that point I slipped back into race pace and waited for Nabil's tires to wear out.  

James is proving that the McLaren doesn't need nearly as much downforce as I think it does, and for the second time this series he passed me in a straight line, this time leading up to Blanchimont.  I outbraked him going into the chicane, but chose not to bother him and followed instead.  Secretly I hoped that he would battle with Nabil, but he dispatched of him quickly and left me to wait for Nabil to make another mistake.  With about 10 minutes to go I was glued to the back of his car, unable to pass in a slipstream, when once again he slipped in the chicane, handing me 5th.  This race was a big confidence booster for me after my disaster at Monza.  Hopefully I'll get the chance to race next weekend.Very Happy
    Jimmy Broadbent
    Jimmy Broadbent
    Admin

Post by Jimmy Broadbent Mon 29 Jul - 10:24

Round 3 went a lot better than I expected it to. I knew that I could manage a top 5 spot for Quali, but knew that i'd likely run into tire trouble during the race.

Due to Justin's departure I ended up starting 2nd behind Anders (3rd was a personal best) and was surprised to see that I kept pace with him throughout the first lap. Coming down to the final chicane, Anders out-braked himself which allowed me close the gap. It turns out that the Z4's strength was Eau Rouge and with a good exit I passed Anders for the lead going into the start of the 2nd sector.

I managed stay infront of the Swede for a good few laps but then the curse of the gamepad struck and my tires fell off the cliff. I tried my best to keep him behind me but to no avail. A couple of laps later Chris James blew passed me in the McLaren, leaving me guessing what kind of downforce he was running.

I took losing 2nd place as a sign that I needed new tires. I took to the pits for only tires, as the BMW was capable of running the whole race on 1 tank. After a few quick laps following my stop I managed to jump both Chris and Anders to reclaim first.

For a while I managed to keep Anders at around a 4 second gap, but yet again the tires started to let go and before long I had my mirrors full of Ferrari.

I manged to hold off until about 10 minutes to go where Anders passed me with an awesome move round the outside. Once he was passed I had no chance of catching him so I held off for 2nd place. This is my personal best race result so I was pretty pleased.

Well done to Anders for some awesome racing and hopefully i'll be able to keep this pace with the wheel ;P
    Cam Porter

Post by Cam Porter Mon 29 Jul - 12:16

Didn't do any testing or laps until official practice, so of course I was way off pace.  Had fun racing Minges (for last place) in the opening laps.  Sorry about the accidental divebomb on lap one. Embarassed Didn't mean to attempt a pass there.  Clearly, I was braking much later at the end of Kemmel. I think I may have been able to go the whole race on one set of tires... maybe.  Took tires anyway.  Got a stop-go penalty for accidentally speeding in the pit lane. Sad It was lonely after that.  See you later.
    Chris James

Post by Chris James Wed 31 Jul - 3:47

Someguy 1 wrote:

Chris James pitted and exited so far behind me I thought something had happened to him.

I screwed up big time, and had to pit 3 times.  I practiced pitting quite a bit, but in practice, my pit stall was way up front.  I guess I developed a subconscious memory of my pit stall being there, because even though I acknowledged that my pit stall was the last stall right before the race, I blew right past it.  To top it off, In my panic at realizing I blew my pit stall, I had a brainfart, and hit my pit limiter button to get out of the pits fast.  I turned it right back on a fraction of a second later, but it was too late.  I got a black flag.  So I left the pits, came back for my tires and fuel, and thought that stopping again would serve my black flag drive-through penalty.  Wrong.  After I got out of the pits, I noticed that the black flag was still there, even though I didn't speed at all in the pits this time.  I kept going, thinking maybe the flag was just stuck, but a few laps later, rFactor told me to serve my penalty or I would be DQ'd.  So I had to pit yet a third time.  FML.  Hopefully I'll at least learn from the mistake.

And yes, despite needing to brake a little earlier, I find that lower downforce helps me get better times.  I was running 1/1 at Monza, and 2/4 at Spa.  Let me know if you find lower downforce better as well; what I know about setups wouldn't fill a bucket.
    Someguy 1
    Someguy 1

Post by Someguy 1 Wed 31 Jul - 4:21

Did some 2:19's last night with a full tank of fuel at 2-4, so yeah...I should have at least tried going lower.  ROUND THREE RESULTS -- Spa-Francorchamps Confused0025-1

In my rfactor experience I find spring related stuff to be trivial.  I simply max out camber and caster and set steering lock to 18.  For every car, every mod.  When someone does send me their setups, I set steering lock to 18 and proceed to do the same lap times as before. Perhaps my driving style negates the need for subtle changes in springs, dampening, ect., since I only drive with one foot, and never apply the brakes while turning.
    Chris James

Post by Chris James Thu 1 Aug - 1:45

What's a good time at Silverstone?
    jabber09
    jabber09

Post by jabber09 Thu 1 Aug - 2:47

Chris James wrote:What's a good time at Silverstone?

Eh, I have been in the 2:05's most of the time. I know that there is more time there, but I haven't messed with the setup enough to try and find it.
    Chris James

Post by Chris James Thu 1 Aug - 3:50

Thanks jabber. Busted my ass to get a 2:03.9 earlier with a 2/7 downforce.  Tried 2/4 for a while with the same results.  Just for shits and giggles I reduced it to 1/1.  Did a 2:03.6 on my first hot lap.  Really wiggly though, and probably too dangerous.  Very surprising on a track like this.  You guys said that the McLaren needs less DF in the mod, is it that way in real life?  1/1 should not work on a track like this, right?  Maybe that's what the new version fixes?
    John Bacho
    John Bacho
    Admin

Post by John Bacho Thu 1 Aug - 9:46

I don't know how people like Culbert/tigeraid over at efnetsimracing write race reports in such a short amount of time. 1400 words about the facts & action in a race really takes me too much time. Still, I'll try to keep up with it if I can.

Now to crank out the preview.
    Anders Nilsson

Post by Anders Nilsson Thu 1 Aug - 18:04

Love your racereport John Very Happy Always a pleasure to study 
    steviejb
    steviejb
    Admin

Post by steviejb Thu 1 Aug - 18:49

Chris James wrote:Thanks jabber.  Busted my ass to get a 2:03.9 earlier with a 2/7 downforce.  Tried 2/4 for a while with the same results.  Just for shits and giggles I reduced it to 1/1.  Did a 2:03.6 on my first hot lap.  Really wiggly though, and probably too dangerous.  Very surprising on a track like this.  You guys said that the McLaren needs less DF in the mod, is it that way in real life?  1/1 should not work on a track like this, right?  Maybe that's what the new version fixes?

Honestly I'm amazed 1/1 gave you a better time. To get any performance on pretty much every track (only exception has been Monza where I ran 1/4) I've had to run 2/6 or 7 on the BMW. 1 on the front just doesn't give me enough turn in.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May - 16:53